Baja fries: The name I made up to describe the most delicious, eclectic, crazy satisfying French fries I’ve ever eaten. They’re kind of like loaded nachos, except with fries instead.
And the best part?
These Fries Are Healthy!
- The French fries are homemade and baked, not fried.
- The fries are topped with two superfoods – black beans and avocado – plus other healthy ingredients like tomato and cilantro.
- The cheese sauce is homemade – and embarrassingly easy to make. No need to buy processed cheese for this recipe!
About the sauce: The homemade cheese sauce tastes like traditional nacho cheese sauce but without the questionable ingredients. The sauce only takes 2 minutes to make. I would recommend doubling the recipe so you have extra cheese sauce to use on nachos, baked potatoes, as a chip dip, etc. It’s very, very good. Check out the original recipe here.
Follow along on Instagram, where I post recipe updates, money-saving tips, thrift shopping adventures, and random pretty things.
Fully Loaded Baja Fries
Yield: 2 large servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Garlic powder
For cheese sauce:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- Garlic powder
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- Pickled jalapeños
- Handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- Lime segments
- Make French fries: Preheat oven to 425F. Cut potatoes into thin fries. Soak in cold water for 15 minutes. Drain, refill with water, and soak for 15 more minutes. Drain and remove excess water with a paper towel. Toss potatoes with olive oil, garlic powder, and salt. Place on a greased baking sheet (you may need 2 baking sheets). Bake for 25 minutes or longer, until fries are golden brown and crisp.
- Make cheese sauce: Heat heavy whipping cream in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, until cream comes to a light simmer. Toss cheese with cornstarch. Add to the simmering cream. Stir until cheese melts and sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble fries: Place hot fries on a plate. Top with cheese sauce, black beans, avocado, jalapeños, and cilantro. Serve with lime segments on the side.