While making another one of my favorite smoothies, seeing a bunch of ripe bananas in the kitchen gave me the urge to bake some banana bread. Then a light went off - why not combine a smoothie recipe with banana bread to make banana smoothie muffins?
Made with pureed banana, spinach, and strawberries, these muffins came out even more deliciously sweet and moist than anticipated. Skeptics might be turned off by the greenish hue, but just like green eggs and ham, "try them, try them," and this might become your new favorite banana bread recipe.
These muffins taste best freshly baked, with the edges slightly crispy. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
3 ripe bananas
2 cups packed baby spinach
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Puree the bananas, spinach, and strawberries in a blender.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, sugar, egg, oil, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour the smoothie mixture into the bowl and mix well.
- Put paper or silicone muffin cups in a muffin pan (you'll need two pans for 14 muffins).
- Spoon the batter, filling each cup about three quarters full.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool on a rack and enjoy!
Makes 14 muffins. Here's the nutritional information for one muffin.
Source: Calorie Count
- Breads, Desserts
- 14 muffins
- Cook Time
- 45 mins
- Calories per serving