Not only is spaghetti squash a tasty addition to your day, but it’s also a delicious way to incorporate veggies into mealtime in a variety of ways. Even if you’ve never even thought about eating a low-carb or gluten-free diet, this stuff is the real deal—tender, filling, and naturally sweet! From creamy-cheesy, to hearty-meaty this recipe is a play on the pasta classics with a spaghetti squash twist.
Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese
Our Caprese Mac and Cheese gets an even lighter makeover with this recipe, and to make it gluten free for those who are intolerant, I took out the panko. If you’re not gluten-free and want the extra crunch, add it back in at the end and broil for 2 minutes.
1 1.5 pound spaghetti squash
2 cups grape tomatoes
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
5 teaspoons whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups 2% milk
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
1.5 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
Small basil leaves (optional)
1. Cook the spaghetti squash in the oven according to these directions.
2. Preheat broiler to high.
3. Combine tomatoes and 2 teaspoons oil on a jellyroll pan. Broil 3 minutes or until tomatoes begin to break down.
4. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Add milk, salt, and black pepper, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a simmer; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat; stir in cheeses, but save about 3 tablespoons for later.
5. Stir cheese mixture into the spaghetti squash then place in a small 2qt baking dish. Stir in tomato mixture and torn basil. Sprinkle remaining cheeses over spaghetti squash mixture. Broil 2 minutes or until the top is browned. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired.
CALORIES 266; FAT 13.8g (sat 5.9g, mono 5.7g, poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 14.5g; CARB 23.8g; FIBER 4g; CHOL 30mg; IRON 1.2mg; SODIUM 591mg; CALC 453.5mg
- How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
- Low-Carb Spaghetti Squash with Chicken and Veggies
- Spaghetti Squash Lasagna with Spinach