Everyone needs a good Sloppy Joe recipe. If you’re looking for yours, I’ve got you covered.
I grew up eating Sloppy Joes all the time. My mom’s recipe was great, but never exact. She would (and still does) dump a little bit of this and a little bit of that into the kettle, adjusting amounts as needed.
It wasn’t until last year that this new Sloppy Joe recipe came into our lives. The recipe made its rounds in my hometown, appearing at concession stands and potlucks. When my family tasted it, we went nuts. There was something deliciously different about it.
Turns out, the ground beef mixture was slowly baked in the oven – not cooked on the stove top. The result is a flavorful sandwich with a melt-in-your-mouth texture. There is something about slow-cooking the meat that makes it very tender.
- Serve them classic style, on a bun and topped with a pickle.
- For a paleo-friendly version, do a Sloppy Joe in a bowl. Top the meat with chopped onions, tomatoes, pickles, and vegan cheese.
- Serve on lettuce leaves for an easy lettuce wrap.
- Make a walking taco. Open a small bag of Doritos, add some of this meat, top with salsa, chopped onions and tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream.
I also must mention: In my hometown in southwest Minnesota, we don’t actually call these Sloppy Joes. We call them “barbecues”. If you go into a restaurant and order a barbecue, this is what you will get. What do you call them where you’re from?
Did you enjoy this recipe? Be sure to follow along on Instagram for new recipe notification and fun photos.
Oven-Baked Sloppy Joes
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 180 min
- 5 lbs ground beef
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 16 ounces ketchup (half of a 32-ounce bottle)
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Mix all ingredients in a large roaster.
- Place in a 250F oven and bake for 3 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.