Proposing marriage to somebody is a huge deal. After all, it entails putting everything on the line and making yourself completely vulnerable in the name of showing your undying love for another person. So it’s normal to be nervous and feel a little awkward—but these eight guys take it to another level. Spoiler alert: All the women said yes—but in all eight cases, a lot of the cringeworthiness could’ve definitely been avoided by keeping the whole ordeal much simpler. Boyfriends, take note.
1. The Guy Who Just Wants to Get Married “Sometime in the Near Future”
The whole thing is super awkward, but you've got to admit he's incredibly brave for proposing on an airplane. If she had said no, there'd be nowhere to run!
2. The Woman Who Learned Not to Go Anywhere on an Empty Stomach
There’s nothing more romantic than having to wait for your girlfriend to regain consciousness to respond to your proposoal!
3. The Guy Who Thought Proposing on the Edge of a Boat Was a Good Idea
Gives new meaning to the term "ring toss."
4. The Woman Who Literally Couldn’t Believe What Was Going On
“I’m so confused right now. I don’t understand.”
5. The Guy Who Made His Girlfriend “Wait For It...Wait For It”
It’s always romantic when a proposal ends with a polite “thank you” and “you’re welcome”—not to mention a stately bow.
6. The Woman Who Just Wanted to Talk About Her Nonprofit
Being on the Today Show was Simone Jhingoor’s big chance to share her charity work with the world, but it all turned out to be an elaborate ruse organized by her boyfriend, complete with a dramatic, overly rehearsed speech that, unfortunately for Simone, had nothing to do with her nonprofit work.
7. The Woman Who Really Set Herself Up There
After what she said at the beginning of the video, you’d almost expect her to say no—but apparently public proposals aren’t all that bad.
8. The Guy Who Caused a Traffic Jam For Love
A Turkish man and six of his friends used their cars to block off an entire highway in Istanbul so that this man could propose to his girlfriend on an empty road (as hundreds of horns blared around them). She said yes, but once the footage of the proposal was posted online, the seven men were arrested and deemed mentally unfit to be driving. You win some, you lose some.